I am a Research Assistant Professor at Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (NRES) and a Research Scientist at Agroecosystem Sustainability Center (ASC) led by Prof. Kaiyu Guan, Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (ISEE), University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). My research focuses on utilizing hyperspectral, thermal and multispectral data collected from manned/unmanned airborne systems, satellites, and proximal sensing to assess vegetation functional traits and ecosystem ecohydrological processes. My overarching research goal is to develop and apply novel sensing techniques with process-based models and data-driven algorithms for agroecosystem monitoring and modeling to secure sustainable agriculture.
In the past years, I have designed and tested operational manned/unmanned airborne based monitoring systems to map high resolution ecosystem functional traits, nutrients, productivity, water use, soil moisture, energy budget and water use efficiency. Along with sensing techniques, I also use process-based models, machine learning algorithms and field measurements to advance the understanding of key ecohydrological processes across spatial and temporal scales in agricultural and natural ecosystems. Before joining UIUC, I received a Ph.D. degree in environmental engineering from Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in 2019.
Recruitment: We are recruiting highly motivated Ph.D. students and postdocs with full supports in the coming year. Details are available right now: HERE.
Agroecosystem Monitoring, Remote Sensing, Manned/Unmanned Airborne Systems, Imaging Spectroscopy, Machine Learning, Ecosystem Modeling, Radiative Transfer modeling, Eco-hydrology, Regenerative Agriculture
- 2015 - 2019: PhD, Environmental Engineering, Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
- 2012 - 2015: MSc, Water and Environment, University of Copenhagen (KU)
- 2012 - 2015: MSc, Geography, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS)
- 2008 - 2012: BSc, Geography, Nanjing University (NJU)
- 2021 - Present: Research Assitant Professor, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, UIUC
- 2021 - Present: Research Scientist, Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment, UIUC
- 2019 - 2020: Postdoc researcher, Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment, UIUC
- 2020, Top Reviewer for Remote Sensing of Environment
- 2019, Young Researcher Award, DTU
- 2019, Outstanding Self-finance Student Abroad, Ministry of Education, China
- 2018, European Union COST action travel grant to University of Twente
- 2017, Otto Moensted travel grant, Denmark
- 2016, European Union COST action travel grant to Spanish National Research Council
- 2015, Graduation with honors, Beijing Municipality
- 2015, Graduation with honors, CAS
- 2015, Graduation with honors, Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources (IGSNRR), CAS
- 2015, Dean’s scholarship, IGSNRR, CAS
Remote Sensing of Environment, Biogeoscience, Nature Scientific Report, Journal of Hydrology, European Journal of Agronomy, Precision Agriculture, Ecological applications,Remote Sensing, Forests, Atmosphere, Electronics, Applied Sciences, Journal of Hydrometeorology
- Guan, K., Jin, Z., DeLucia, E.H., West, P., Peng, B., Tang, J., Jiang, C., Wang, S., Kim, T., Zhou, W. and Griffis, T., 2022. A roadmap toward scalably quantifying field-level agricultural carbon outcome.
- Wang, S., Guan, K., Zhang, C., Lee, D., Margenot, A, J., Ge, Y., Peng, J., Zhou, W., Zhou, Q., and Huang, Y. 2022. Using soil library heperspectral reflectance and machine learning to predict soil organic carbon: assessing potential of airborne and spaceborne optical soil sensing. Remote Sensing of Environment.
- Potash, E., Guan, K., Margenot, A., Lee, D., Delucia, E., Wang, S., and Jang, C. 2022. How to estimate soil organic carbon stocks of agricultural fields? Perspectives using ex ante evaluation. Geodema. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2021.115693
- Wu, J., Ainsworth, E.A., Wang, S., Guan, K., He. J., 2021. Adaptive Transfer Learning for Plant Phenotyping. MLCAS.
- Wang, S, Guan, K., Wang, Z., Ainsworth, E.A., Zheng, T., Townsend, P.A., Liu, N., Nafziger, E.D., Masters, M.D., Li, K., Wu, G., Jiang, C. 2021. Airborne hyperspectral imaging of nitrogen deficiency on crop traits and yield of maize by machine learning and radiative transfer modeling. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2021.102617
- Köppl, C.J., Malureanu, R., Dam-Hansen, C., Wang, S., Jin, H., Barchiesi, S., Sandí, J.M.S., Muñoz-Carpena, R., Johnson, M., Durán-Quesada, A.M. et al. 2021. Hyperspectral Reflectance Measurements from UAS under Intermittent Clouds: Correcting Irradiance Measurements for Sensor Tilt. Remote Sensing of Environment. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2021.112719
- Acharya, B.S., Bhandari, M., Bandini, F., Pizarro, A., Perks, M., Joshi, D.R., Wang, S. et al. (2021). Unmanned Aerial Systems in Hydrology and Water Resource Management: Applications, Challenges and Perspectives. Water Resources Research. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021WR029925
- Li, K., Guan, K., Jiang, C., Wang, S., Peng, B. and Cai, Y., 2021. Evaluation of four new land surface temperature (LST) products in the US Corn Belt: ECOSTRESS, GOES-R, Landsat, and Sentinel-3. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing.
- Jiang, C., Guan, K., Wu, G., Peng, B. and Wang, S., 2021. A daily, 250 m and real-time gross primary productivity product (2000–present) covering the contiguous United States. Earth System Science Data, 13(2), pp.281-298. https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-2020-36.
- Wang, S., Guan, K., Wang, Z., Ainsworth, E.A., Zheng, T., Townsend, P.A., Li, K., Moller, C., Wu, G. and Jiang, C., 2021. Unique contributions of chlorophyll and nitrogen to predict crop photosynthetic capacity from leaf spectroscopy. Journal of Experimental Botany, 72(2), pp.341-354. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/eraa432.
- Wang, S., Garcia, M., Ibrom, A. and Bauer-Gottwein, P., 2020. Temporal interpolation of land surface fluxes derived from remote sensing–results with an unmanned aerial system. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 24(7), pp.3643-3661. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-24-3643-2020.
- Wang, C., Guan, K., Peng, B., Chen, M., Jiang, C., Zeng, Y., Wu, G., Wang, S., Wu, J., Yang, X. and Frankenberg, C., 2020. Satellite footprint data from OCO-2 and TROPOMI reveal significant spatio-temporal and inter-vegetation type variabilities of solar-induced fluorescence yield in the US Midwest. Remote Sensing of Environment, 241, p.111728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2020.111728.
- Wu, G., Guan, K., Jiang, C., Peng, B., Kimm, H., Chen, M., Yang, X., Wang, S., Suyker, A.E., Bernacchi, C.J. and Moore, C.E., 2020. Radiance-based NIRv as a proxy for GPP of corn and soybean. Environmental Research Letters, 15(3), p.034009. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ab65cc..
- Wang, S., Garcia, M., Bauer-Gottwein, P., Jakobsen, J., Zarco-Tejada, P.J., Bandini, F., Paz, V.S. and Ibrom, A., 2019. High spatial resolution monitoring land surface energy, water and CO2 fluxes from an Unmanned Aerial System. Remote Sensing of Environment, 229, pp.14-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2019.03.040.
- Wang, S., Baum, A., Zarco-Tejada, P.J., Dam-Hansen, C., Thorseth, A., Bauer-Gottwein, P., Bandini, F. and Garcia, M., 2019. Unmanned Aerial System multispectral mapping for low and variable solar irradiance conditions: Potential of tensor decomposition. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 155, pp.58-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2019.06.017.
- Wang, S., Ibrom, A., Bauer-Gottwein, P. and Garcia, M., 2018. Incorporating diffuse radiation into a light use efficiency and evapotranspiration model: An 11-year study in a high latitude deciduous forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 248, pp.479-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2017.10.023.
- Wang, S., Garcia, M., Ibrom, A., Jakobsen, J., Josef Köppl, C., Mallick, K., Looms, M.C. and Bauer-Gottwein, P., 2018. Mapping root-zone soil moisture using a temperature–vegetation triangle approach with an unmanned aerial system: Incorporating surface roughness from structure from motion. Remote Sensing, 10(12), p.1978. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs10121978.
- Bandini, F., Olesen, D., Jakobsen, J., Kittel, C.M.M., Wang, S., Garcia, M. and Bauer-Gottwein, P., 2018. Bathymetry observations of inland water bodies using a tethered single-beam sonar controlled by an unmanned aerial vehicle. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 22(8), pp.4165-4181. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-4165-2018.
- Bandini, F., Lopez-Tamayo, A., Merediz-Alonso, G., Olesen, D., Jakobsen, J., Wang, S., Garcia, M. and Bauer-Gottwein, P., 2018. Unmanned aerial vehicle observations of water surface elevation and bathymetry in the cenotes and lagoons of the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. Hydrogeology Journal, 26(7), pp.2213-2228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-018-1755-9.
- Liu, S., Ding, W., Mo, X., Wang, S., Liu, C., Luo, X., He, D., Bajracharya, S., Shrestha, A., Agrawal, N., 2017. Climate Change and Its Impact on Runoff in Lancang and Nujiang River Basins. Advances in Climate Change Research. 13(4): 356-365. https://doi.org/10.12006/j.issn.1673-1719.2016.212.
- Christian, K., Bandini, F., Wang, S., Garcia, M., Bauer-Gottwein, P., Applying drones for thermal detection of contaminated groundwater influx (Grindsted Å). Appendix in Anvendelse af drone til termisk kortlægning af forureningsudstrømning. Report of Drone System (Henrik Grosen, Sune Nielsen), edited by Miljøstyrelsen. 2016.
- Qiu, J., Gao, Q., Wang, S., and Su, Z., 2016. Comparison of temporal trends from multiple soil moisture data sets and precipitation: The implication of irrigation on regional soil moisture trend. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 48, pp.17-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2015.11.012.
- Wang, S., Liu, S., Mo, X., Peng, B., Qiu, J., Li, M., Liu, C., Wang, Z. and Bauer-Gottwein, P., 2015. Evaluation of remotely sensed precipitation and its performance for streamflow simulations in basins of the southeast Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 16(6), pp.2577-2594. https://doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-14-0166.1.
- Mo, X., Liu, S., Lin, Z., Wang, S., and Hu, S., 2015. Trends in land surface evapotranspiration across China with remotely sensed NDVI and climatological data for 1981–2010. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 60(12), pp.2163-2177. https://doi.org/10.1080/02626667.2014.950579.
- Liu, S., Wang, S., Wang, Y., Li, M., Huang, M., Peng, G., Xiao, Z., 2014. Exploring the relationship between polar motion and runoff. Advances in Meteorological Science and Technology. 4(3):6-12. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.2095-1973.2014.03.001.
- Wang, S. and LIU, S., 2013. Exploring the relationship between polar motion and a natural river’s runoff based on Granger causality. IAHS-AISH publication, 360, pp.131-138. https://dio.org/iahs.info.15559.25-131-138-360-22.
Updated on January 14, 2022